Innovate 2014 takeaway


Innovate 2014 was a very intense experience for  me and my colleagues in the RPE team. I’m still digesting all that we’ve seen & learned but one topic seems to stand out from all others: we need more and better documentation on RPE and on using RPE with the various supported point products. Luckily this is an area that we can improve outside formal release cycles and we plan to start right away the jet lag goes away.

Thanks for meeting us at Innovate and stay tuned for more info on document generation with RPE.

 

Advertisements

Author: Dragos Cojocari

Architect for Rational Publishing Engine

5 thoughts on “Innovate 2014 takeaway”

  1. I concur!!!!!…I’d love to see documentation on DOORS NextGen schemas and how to map data needed to print in RPE (e.g., to pull attributes, must use “x” schema and then show where content is located in schema) Also, I’d love schemas to be cleaned up to only have elements that return data.

  2. Thanks for the feedback Michele.

    I’d like to understand more on what you mean by “I’d love schemas to be cleaned up to only have elements that return data”. What is the usecase/scenario, how would you see this working? Would this trimming process occur when you add the schema in RPE or after that?

  3. I had issues not knowing which fields were returned when different datasources (i.e., project vs. view) was provided against a resource schema. Depending on which datasource, the fields provided was different, and I got confused and chased my tail for two days until i reaslized i used two different datasources in different specs. For the same template, traversing the validated by link, the fields available to me were different. I thought I had lost my mind until i figured our the difference. I believe it is this little nuance that causes confusion and is not clear in the REST API.
    Also, I would love to know how to modify the schemas similar to the printModule.dta template provided by Geoffrey Rosenthal on developerworks.

    1. I am also having an issue when printing a Module in DNG to get it to lok like what is presented on the screen. I have it really close, but it is printing in an incorrect bookOrder. I have attempted to sort the container that iterates through the Module artifats (Module datasource for Module schema), but is is not responding.

      1. Hey Michele,

        thanks again for your feedback.

        >>> I had issues not knowing which fields were returned when different datasources (i.e., project vs. view) was provided against a resource schema.
        This is indeed a rather common complaint made by Rational users and is known to the product teams. I’ve seen improvements to the Infocenters and various wikis documenting this and I hope we’ll keep seeing them.

        >>> I am also having an issue when printing a Module in DNG to get it to lok like what is presented on the screen. I have it really close, but it is printing in an incorrect bookOrder.
        For this type of specific issues I recommend asking a question on the RPE DevWorks forum ( see the links section of the blog) and add the template you are working on.

        Regards,
        Dragos

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s