To create a Table of Contents in RPE you can proceed in two ways:
- use the “Table of Contents” element from the RPE Palette.
- use an external stylesheet
For option #1 please see Adding a table of contents element in the RPE Infocenter
For option #2 you simply have to create the TOC in your stylesheet and follow the steps outlined in Using external styles from Word stylesheets to associate the stylesheet with your Word or PDF output.
My recommendation is to use option #2 since using Microsoft Word to edit the settings of your TOC has the following benefits:
- separate the layout of your document from the formatting
- a simpler user experience
- immediate visual feedback
- it is less error prone as the template designer does not need to copy paste the field codes from Word to RPE