With the introduction of RPE Web Services 2.0 ( new Web UI) a valid question is how does the new UI compare in terms of capabilities to classic Launcher.
A comparison of the most significant capabilities of the two is listed below including my recommendation for when RPE Launcher is better to use.
NOTE: In terms of supported data sources and output formats the two are identical.
|Built-in asset store||yes(1)||yes|
|Built-in document store||no||yes|
|Design and configure report||yes||yes|
|Rename data sources
|Hide/Fixate data sources
|Use templates, reports and
style-sheets from any location
|DOORS 9 Plug-in||yes||no|
templates in reports
|64 bit support||yes||yes|
- yes(1) – RPE Web Services 1.0 need to be installed and configured
A brief description of the capabilities
- Document store – centralized, searchable collection of the generated documents.
- Report review – the ability to have report designers test a report in the same conditions as the end users
- Portable reports – a DSX file created by RPE Launcher can be moved across machines. A report created with the RPE Web Services 2.0 cannot be exported or reused on a different server unless the entire database is moved.
- Rename data sources and variables – provide names that are meaningful to the end users for the data sources and variables without modifying the template
- Hide/Fixate data sources and variables – provide values for data sources and variables and prevent end users from viewing and modifying them
- Use templates, reports and style-sheets from any location – use templates from the file system, URLs etc. RPE Web Services 2.0 only allows using assets that were previously uploaded in its own database.
- Dashboard integration – access the document generation capabilities from within a CLM dashboard or any other Opne Social Enabled Web application.
When to use RPE Launcher over the RPE Web Services 2.0
The only scenario where I recommend using RPE Launcher is for DOORS 9 data sources. The RPE Web Services 2.0 ( like the previous generation of services) can work with DOORS only in batch mode and will significantly load the server.