With RPE you could generate the documents with the structure and formatting you need. However, if you want to compare contents of two different views from DOORS NG or test plan or test cases across different configuration or version, how would you?
RPE does not have an inbuilt solution for comparing documents. With the help of Microsoft Macro VB script, one could compare two documents to get representation of a third document that contains the differences between the two compared documents, and it is marked by using Track Changes. Note the Microsoft Word should be installed on the machine where the comparison tool is being run.
- Generate one version of the document using RPE.
- Generate another version (different view or configuration, etc) of the document using RPE.
- Use the MS Word method to compare documents. See the below section.
How to compare two documents
- Download the tool from here.
- Extract the archive to a directory
- Update the following in compare_tool.dat
- Run the command in the following format from windows command prompt.
- path_to_compare_tool.bat “base_file.doc” “compare_file.doc”
- For example – “C:\temp\comparetool\compare_tool.bat” “C:\temp\comparetool\base_1.doc” “C:\temp\comparetool\sample_1.doc”
- The results will be like below. If the files are different, the third differential document is created marked by track changes.
Opening macro file <c:\temp\comparetool\compare_tool.dot> Please wait ... Running macro <cmpdocs> Please wait... Files are different. See changes in: c:\temp\comparetool\results\comparison_resu lts_4000.doc